A special treat for your lucky leprechauns! Yummy cupcake bites piled high with buttercream frosting and a chocolate coating. And, they’re super easy to make…because…well you’re busy!
Over the Rainbow Mini Cupcakes
For your lucky leprechauns!
For the cupcakes:
- 1 box of chocolate cake mix + ingredients listed on the box
For the buttercream frosting:
- 2 sticks of butter, softened
- 4 c of powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbs whipping cream, more to thin as needed
- food coloring (I used red, yellow, green, blue, and purple)
For the chocolate coating:
- 8oz dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 Tbs vegetable oil
- Bake cupcakes according to package instructions. Be sure to follow directions for cupcakes, and use a mini pan if you’re making minis! Be sure to only fill each cupcake liner ½ full of batter. Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting them.
- While cupcakes are cooling, make your frosting. Add butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla to the bowl of a stand mixer and mix to combine. (Unless you want your kitchen to snow powdered sugar, drape a clean towel over your mixer to contain the dust.) Mixture will be dry. Gradually add in whipping cream until the frosting is light and fluffy. You may need a little extra if the frosting still looks dry and heavy. Be sure to taste the frosting as you go! It’s the best part, afterall.
- Frost the cupcakes! To do the rainbow swirl: add a drop of each color to your piping bag, letting the food color drip down the side of the bag. Do not let the colors mix, or it will be a muddled brown. Carefully add white frosting to the piping bag, being cautious not to overmix the colors. When you pipe the frosting onto the cupcake, it should swirl! Each cupcake will have a unique look.
- Put the frosted cupcakes in the fridge to cool. (You’ll want the frosting to be cold so the chocolate coating sets.)
- While cupcakes are in the fridge, make the chocolate coating. Add chocolate and oil to a small bowl with a wide opening. Microwave the chocolate mixture in 30 sec intervals until the chocolate is melted. Stir until smooth.
- Remove the cupcakes from the fridge, and carefully dip each into the chocolate so it coats the frosting. Let coating cool to set.