Your ambitious little chef will love the fun flower pot twist with this herb yeast bread!
Your little chef will love these mini breads, baked in a flower pot! Wrap them in a cute kitchen towel, and they make the cutest springtime gift.
- 6 new, lead-free, 4” clay flower pots
- Olive oil (to grease pots)
- 1c warm water (100-110F)
- 2 pkg active dry yeast (4 ½ tsp)
- 1/2c + 1tsp sugar
- 2c milk
- 3tsp salt
- 1/2c butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/8tsp dried basil
- 1/2tsp dried oregano
- 1/2tsp dried rosemary
- 2c whole wheat flour
- 6-7c bread flour
- 1 egg, beaten for egg wash
- Preheat oven to 375F. Clean pots thoroughly. When clean and dry, brush inside and rim of pot with olive oil. Bake empty pots for 10min. Cool pots.
- On parchment paper, trace around the bottom of a pot with a pencil and cut out the circle. Repeat 6 times, one for each pot. Place one parchment circle inside the bottom of each flower pot, pencil side down, to cover the hole in the flower pot. Again, brush the inside of the pot and the rim with oil. Set pots aside.
- In a small bowl, combine warm water, yeast, and 1tsp sugar. Stir. Set aside until the mixture foams, about 5-10min.
- Combine milk, salt, 1/2c sugar, and butter in a saucepan. Heat on the stovetop over med-low heat to scald milk and melt the butter. Cool the mixture to 100-110F.
- Add 2 beaten eggs to the milk mixture and stir. Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add cooled yeast mixture and stir to combine.
- In another bowl, gently stir basil, oregano, and rosemary into wheat flour.
- One cup at a time, add the wheat flour mixture to the large mixing bowl with the wet mixture, then the bread flour. Stir consistently while adding the flours to make a dough. When the dough gets too stiff to stir in any more flour, turn it out onto a floured surface. Knead in the remaining flour until the dough is soft and elastic, but not sticky (about 5-8min).
- Rub a large bowl with oil. Place the bread dough in the bowl and cover with a clean towel or plastic wrap. Set the dough in a warm place to rise, 1-2 hours, or until double in size.
- Punch the dough to deflate. Divide the dough into 6 balls of equal size. Place one ball in each flower pot. Let the dough rise in the pots for about 30min.
- Brush the tops of the bread with egg wash. Bake at 375F for 25-35min, until bread top is golden brown and bread sounds hollow when patted.
- Cool each bread and remove from pot to serve, or wrap in a kitchen towel to gift!